How Does Altrusa International of Olympia Benefit You?
Community Service -
Through our many and diverse projects we enhance the quality of life in our community.
Elephant Ear People
| || |
2011 schedule we will participate in:
Duck Dash - June 4th,
Tumwater Fest - July 4th,
Lakefair - July 13th-17th,
Oysterfest - October 1st & 2nd
selling Elephant Ears to fund our projects.;
Habitat for Humanity
| ||As one of the many service project Altrusa International of Olympia has been involved with a local Habitat for Humanity neighborhood project. They have provided and served many hot and cold lunches for the workers constructing the homes. In 2010 the club donated the money to build playground equipment, seen in the photo for the neighborhood. |
Personal Skill Building
Many members have found the skills used in Altrusa have helped them in their careers. These skills include:
- Public Speaking
- Leadership experience
- Project design and management
- Issue Research
- Budget Development and Supervision
There are intangible benefits as well. You join members representing a wide diversity of experience and education, leading to a stimulating opportunity to share experiences, viewpoints and concerns with vital and interesting people from our community.
How Altrusa International of Olympia
Benefits the Community?
- We initiated and developed the Sunshine House at St. Peter Hospital.
- We helped found and continue to support the Olympia Child Care Center.
- We promote literacy through our literary awareness projects and our donations of time and funds to literacy programs.
- We provide scholarships to community college students and recognize a senior from several high schools annually with a monetary award.
- We also contribute time or monies to Safeplace, Exchange Student Social, Salvation Army, St. Peter Paliative Care Unit, Capital Club House, Kinship Closet, The Other Bank, Homeless Shelter Meals, Habitat for Humanity, Babies with Books Project, Homeless Students Welcome Room at Madison School and the Food Bank reading corner.
Vocational Recognition Award
|Each year Altrusa of Olympia recognizes a high school senior, male or female who is both working and attending school full time. These students may, or may not, be continuing their education beyond high school. However, Altrusa believes that by working while attending school, these students are already demonstrating the potential to be successful both academically and occupationally and feel they deserve recognition for their efforts. The award is monetary and is given to one student from each of 9 different schools each year. The students also receive a statue of a graduate in their school colors. These ceramic statues are made by an Olympia Altrusan shown in the photo. || |
We Need Your Support
Your charitable gift to the Altrusa International of Olympia Foundation, honoring a family member, friend, or special event is a wonderful way to show you care and allows you to help others at the same time. All gifts become part of the club's foundation budget invested back into our community. Your gift can honor a deceased relative or friend. It can celebrate a birthday, anniversary, graduation, wedding, or any special occasion that calls for a special gesture. Witness the good works that become part of the fabric of our daily lives-all made possible by your generous gift. Your gift is tax deductible.